Thursday, October 29, 2009

Super Baby Food




I know it has been a long time, but this blogger must be forgiven! It is hard to believe that since I last wrote I went through 10 1/2 months of a long pregnancy and had a healthy baby boy! Rhyan Scott Ford was born on 5/31 at 7:11 a.m. weighing in at a HEFTY 9lbs 7ozs! It was a long labor, but I am so glad he finally came after being 11 days late.

Rhyan will be 5 months on Halloween and I have stared to feed him solid foods. I went to Whole Foods to get organic sweet potato's for his first food. I found organic potato's from a local Georgia Farm that were $2.35 a pound. I got 3 fairly good sized potato's for a total cost of $2.39, just over a pound. When you consider the cost of 1 oz of organic baby food, which was five jars for $3.00 dollars, I got a great deal! I would have had to buy 15 jars for almost 10 dollars to equate to what I was able to get just buying the sweet potato's!

The next day I baked the potato's in the oven for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. I simply peeled off the skin and put them in the blender with enough water to make it slide off the spoon while feeding.

I ordered these super sweet food cubes, for 5 dollars a tray. They are much better than regular ice cube trays because they are BPA free and will not leech any chemicals into the food during the freezing process. I filled the cubes up at the 1 oz. mark and then froze!

All I do for his feeding is pop them out of the cube and microwave them in a BPA free feeding bowl! Food for Rhyan!

I have been very interested in organic foods and what is the best to feed not only Rhyan, but our entire family. Being a family on a budget, buying ALL organic is not within our abilities. So with a little research I have discovered that there are 12 things that you SHOULD always buy organic and it would eliminate 90% of pesticide consumption you are eating....these are called the "Dirty Dozen":

1. peaches
2. apples
3. celery
4. peppers
5. nectarines
6. strawberries
7. cherries
8. lettuce
9. grapes (imported)
10. pears
11. spinach
12. potatoes

So I am going to try to stay away from these and still buy my other produce just like I would have normally bought! I have also considered buying a share in a local organic farm, in which I would pick up our produce each week from a location in downtown Atlanta.

I will keep you informed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE BLOGGING AGAIN! Love it. Love you. Momsie