Monday, November 2, 2009

Jewish Coffee Cake


I love to cook, hate to bake. Cooking is so relaxing to me, to get into the kitchen and only focus on making a meal that will hopefully make everyone feel loved. Cooking is the way that I show love to people, I might not always pick up the phone to have a conversation but I will tell you how much I love you by making sure you are always full of food. Cooking is great because it is not a science, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Is it too salty? Add a dash of sugar to counterbalance it. Don't have any eggs? Use applesauce. I love cooking because it is the grey area, no rights or wrongs, just good food.

Baking on the other hand has been an enemy of mine for many years now. You have to be so precise, exact in all your measurements. Who knew that there was a difference between flour that is sifted and flour that is not? Who wants to use measuring spoon, measuring cups, bake for a certain time at a certain temperature? A CLEAN TOOTH PICK MEANS ITS DONE? What happens when you don't have a toothpick...

This was until my aunt Trisha taught me how to make the best and easiest cake in the world. I was visiting her at her home in Mississippi this summer and she just threw me in there. And she told me the best thing I have ever heard, "Don't worry if it is lumpy". Ahhhh....I have made it 12 times since then.

Jewish Coffee Cake

2 sticks of butter (room temp)
2 eggs
3 cups of sugar
3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 16 ounce tub of sour cream (room temp)
3 cups of flour (NOT SIFTED)
3 tablespoons of cinnamon
1 cup of sugar (mix with cinnamon)
Greased bundt cake pan


1. Mash 2 sticks of butter with 3 cups of sugar, keep it lumpy.
2. Add two eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
3. Add flour one cup at a time until blended, keep it lumpy.
4. Pour a layer into a bundt pan
5. Add half of the cinnamon sugar mixture, use a knife to cut into the cake
6. Another layer of batter
7. Add remaining cinnamon sugar mixture, use a knife to cut into the cake
8. Top with remaining batter. Be sure to cover all of the cinnamon sugar mixture so it won't burn.

Cook in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool and then turn over onto a plate!!!

Thank you Aunt Trisha, I can bake now!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Melanie: You make me feel so special to be the one to awaken the baker in you. This recipe has been around for almost 40 years in my family. Dale, Leigh Ann and Lynn have known this cake for special days and holidays only. It wasden a treat to have it. It still is special, for my family today. Do you remember four summers ago when all the family was visiting here in Mississippi, and I mad FOUR of these cakes within five days. Just about everyone loves it.

I am so proud to pass this on to you. Don't forget.. use a wooden spoon, not the mixer. I see you have adapted it from my recipe to your recipe.. good. Now it is YOUR recipe.

I love you Melanie.
Aunt Trisha

Anonymous said...

She wrote that after having eye surgery only a couple of hours before!

chad said...

glad to see you are sharing your wealth of knowledge with those of us in cyberspace again....

Amy Lynn said...

Oh this cake looks yummy! I am going to have to give it a try. I love to cook, but most things I bake come from a box! :)

Anonymous said...

It is a GREAT cake...making another one tonight!!! Good for breakfast!

tifferson811 said...

can't wait to try it!
thanks mel!

Melanie Ford said...

I just made another one with Pecans...yummy! Just add chopped pecans to the cinnamon sugar mixture.

Also, DON'T user a mixer for this recipe. Only a wooden spoon!

cameron said...

Yes! Mel does show her love through cooking! I'm no longer the slim young lad in the picture above, but I'm full of Love!