Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Animal Lover



For those of you that don't know me that well, I have never been an animal lover. People, like my sister (that are animal obsessed), can't fathom not being in love with an animal. I have a theory that my sister sucked all the animal loving genes out of me. She has always been crazy about our pets. I remember when we were little girls we would be outside in the the backyard with our dog, Doofus. He was a bit of a doofus; a basset hound, with dopey eyes and a loud, constant bark. It was one of those hot Memphis days, the kind were you can't really play or you will faint of heat exhaustion. Mom had given us Popsicles and told us to beat it, she did not want us to get it all over the floor. Melissa stood by the fence and alternated between licking the Popsicle and letting the dog lick it. They shared the whole thing, lick by lick. I wanted to vomit and told her so. She looked up at me with a round stained clown face and seemed puzzled, "He is hot too!" she said. This has never changed. She still lets the dog lick in her mouth. I hate to call you out sis, but I still am not sure why do that!

So, I have never been the one to have the animal loving gene. That was until I got married. There is something about marriage that makes you feel like you need something to care for. And since Cameron and I are not quite ready for a kid, what does this mean? A DOG! 

I had gone over to our technical team office, which is located a short walk from our own office. This sweet hippie girl had informed me that the dog under her desk was for adoption. He was dopey eyed, had a loud bark and reminded me a lot like Doofus. I thought this was the chance to redeem my past annoyance at our childhood dog. I immediately called Cameron and gave him the scoop on the dog. Cameron came by the office and took one look at the dog and said "He is dopey looking". You see, Cameron always had dreams of owning a dingo. Yes, a baby eating dingo. This dog did not quite measure up to the spastic dog of his dreams.

He began looking around at other dogs at the Humane Society. I was a little ticked. I had finally made my mind up to potentially like a dog and now I was cheating on the dopey eyed thing! I reluctantly went with Cameron to the shelter after I checked out some of the dogs online. As we walked around the poop infested cages, I was thinking to myself "No way I am getting a dog from here". They were jumping at us while we were walking by, scratching at the cages, sometimes falling back in their own pee. In fact, did I want dog at all?

As we circled around one last time, I noticed this sweet little fluffy thing in a bin of shredded newspapers. Now this dog was cute. In fact she was the only one online that I saw that I liked. Could it be that I found the dog I saw online? 

It was her, and we adopted her that day. She has been awesome. We named her KC, which was a little more fitting than Kimbo (Cameron wanted to name her that). 

I am beginning to find out I do like dogs. But not enough to share my Popsicles with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will make NO COMMENT about the dog poop in your sheets.

chad said...

I will make not comment about the poop comment. However, I do have to say that i check this thing every day and its about stinking time to posted again.

Anonymous said...

I must let the world know, now that my sister has made me out to be a fool, I see everyone in Gods eyes as being equal. If I let my husband kiss me, kiss my kids, they why would I not allow my dog to kiss me too? I think I love animals so much because they don't talk. There is something about looking into an animals eyes and feeling there emotions, feeling there love. You can see hurt, pain, happiness, sadness, confusion, excitement, all by taking those few moments to look. If only people took those few moments took look into each others eyes without speaking, I think the world we live in would be much different. So here is to the love in my life, Eddie...
Melissa