Monday, March 17, 2008

Tornadoes in Atlanta




Tornadoes hit Atlanta this weekend, a lot of devastation, but no lives lost. It was by the grace of God that Cameron and I were out of town for the weekend. Cameron was asked to play music at a Disciple Now in Buford, Georgia. Since his parents live 5 minutes away from the church we decided to make a weekend of it. We went to dinner, came home to play a game together and turned on the 12:00 evening news to be shocked at what were seeing. The Georgia Dome is not even 2 miles away from our home, the CNN Center the same distance. I could not believe that a tornado had ripped through the city of Atlanta.

Driving to church on Sunday morning on North Ave., we could see the windows that were blown out of the Equitable Building and the Westin hotel. It was shocking to see what seems to be indestructible looking delicate and fragile. 

I could not imagine what the people felt as they saw there roofs being ripped off. I can't even began to imagine the fear that overcame them. The loss of control. 20 houses in Cabbagetown were crushed. Cabbagetown is a neat little area near Memorial Drive, it was mostly a community consisting of mill workers until the mill closed. 

I love my city. I desire to help my city. I am not sure where to turn, which seems ridiculous. In times like these you wonder what to do while people crying out for help. Our church, 1027 Church, is trying to see what needs can be met in the city. I will keep you posted on the effort. Until then pray for the people that lost homes, pray for our country and pray for us! We desire to be the hands and feet of Jesus here in Atlanta.

No comments: